I’m a wild and crazy person. In fact, I’m so wild and crazy I’m going to write about New Year’s stuff and then write about Christmas 2011.
My little Christmas tree started shedding needles like crazy, so I banished it from the house yesterday. I pointed my finger at the back door and yelled, “out, you tree — OUT!” It went. It was only after the tree fled the house that I looked at the Metro Waste Authority guidelines on tree removal. The MWA will collect tagged trees for composting — but homeowners need to remove the decorations and the stand. (No joke –the MWA commercials really specify this.) My little tree is now decoration-free and is smooshed into the compost bin.
New Year’s Day is a lovely, lovely day. It’s all bright and full of possibilities. Ahhhh.
In honor of the new year, I went on a bit of a cleaning spree. It’s very important to start the new year with a freshly organized sock drawer. And a clean fridge. Of which I have both. (Obligatory pat on back.)
I find I get a little cooler with every passing year. I also get to know myself a little better every year. This means I know what resolutions may stand a chance and which resolutions are insta-failures.
Here’s the official 2012 list of Laura Resolutions.
– Drink more water. Drink less coffee. — Oh, this almost pains me to write it. But, a girl’s body probably shouldn’t be made up of 99% caffeine.
– Sleep more. — I’ve thought about the whole sleep thing, and I’ve determined that I don’t really like sleep as much as most people. I’d rather be planting tulip bulbs (which, by the way, I did on December 31). I like sleeping on the couch with the tv on, but someone usually pokes me and says, “Laura, shut the tv off and go to bed.” Sheesh. Anyway, Meredith is really good at getting enough sleep. This is probably because she’d rather sleep than plant tulip bulbs. So, for the first week of the new year, I’m observing “Meredith bedtime.” This means I shall have freakishly early bedtimes. It’s a little experiment. Perhaps I’ll feel much more energized. I usually feel fairly energetic, so January could be a very energetic month for me. Watch out, world.
– Make a souffle. — Ina Garten did this a couple days ago. She made it look easy. I’m going to try it.
– Poach an egg. — See above. And let’s just call 2012 “The Year of the Egg.” That has a nice ring to it.
– Read some serious books that have to do with work-related stuff. — This could be a big ol’ 2012 resolution failure. But, failure makes you tougher. It’s true.
– Skype with Carolyn on a regular basis. This not only benefits me — it benefits her. It’s a dual-beneficial goal. I know she’s excited.
– Finally, I shall keep a little quote from my grandpa in the front part of my mind. (The back part is all cluttered with birthdays of elementary school classmates and dryer lint.) He always used to say, “you never know how someone else is feeling.” He also used to swear a lot. But swearing more isn’t part of the 2012 plan — being more considerate and being 100% engaged in conversations is part of the 2012 plan.
There. My 2012 list of stuff. Feel free to give me a nap mat or a glass of water if you see me.